Tuesday 15 March 2011

Perfect Running Routes

What is the perfect running route?

My preferred road routes have wide, tarmac based pavements that are fairly even and don’t have a major camber. Tarmac’s a little more forgiving than concrete slabs. I avoid pavements that have been rendered uneven by tree roots or repair works – tripping doesn’t tend to enhance runs! Camber can cause issues with knees and feet.

At night, I look for good lighting – and if I’m alone, I tend to avoid quiet streets. I don't generally run off road in the dark.

Preferred off road routes aren’t too muddy (unless it’s not rained for a while), don’t have too many big ruts that I have to pick over & lack stiles and gates. Width is good too – especially when negotiating dogs & walkers.

Hills – I like them, but if I’m doing speedwork or pushing my distance, I opt for flatter routes. If you train on a hilly route for a race that’s much flatter, the event will feel much easier.

If it’s rainy, I avoid muddy off road routes. If it’s really windy, I avoid exposed routes. On hot sunny days, I gravitate to shaded routes.

Scenery – a fabulous added extra that can make a run really special. Woods, fields, sea, views, river – all good!

How to find the perfect route

Running is a great way to get to know your immediate neighbourhood – home is often the best place to start. Keep looking out for roads, tracks and cut throughs that you could add to your route whilst exploring. Take a look at an OS map to work out where footpaths and tracks go.

Map My Run, GB Mapometer and Google Maps are amongst some of the great online mapping tools you could use to plan routes. A great tip I got from Clare Lewis is to view in hybrid mode to spot paths that aren’t shown on the mapping.

Also have a look at the online running sites for routes suggested by others in the area, but don’t make your own routes from your home public for safety reasons,

Ask friends where they run, walk or cycle for more ideas. Also look out for where other runners are running – there's usually good reason why you often see runners on certain roads (e.g. Passfield Ave in Eastleigh is well lit, wide, even and flat).

Look for opportunities to run when away from home - one of my favourite's is in Torquay from my in laws' house to their beach hut and I've loved the runs I've done on holiday.

And do keep looking for new routes - it'll keep your running fresher and more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment