Tuesday 24 May 2011

Permission to make excuses

On Radio 4’s “All In The Mind”, there was a piece on sports psychology by Dr Tim Rees from Exeter University. You will improve the most if you give yourself reasons for a poor performance that you can control. Positive feedback to failure puts the power to change within your control. He did an experiment with blindfold darts – but it translates well to all sports, including running.


Putting a bad run down to “I’m no good at running” is not likely to help you to run better next time.


Aspects you can control include:


"I set off too quickly.”


“I chose a route that was too hilly/rough/muddy for the distance I covered.”


"It was too hot for such a long run.”


"I’m still not over my cold.”


"I was dehydrated.”


"My technique could be better.”


“I need to train a bit more before I try that route again – or I could tweak the route in the short term.”


Also try to note what went well – even if your run wasn’t great. Some examples:




  • Give yourself a huge pat on the back for going out running at all.


  • Congratulate yourself on being wise enough to take a walking break when it got too tough to run.


  • Try to remember a part of the run that felt a bit better.


  • Feel proud that you tried a new route – even though it might need a bit of tweaking.


  • Celebrate finishing your planned run.


  • Put some extra effort & time into your post run stretch – and recognise that this will help you to recover better.

Running really is mind over matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment