Tuesday 15 June 2010

A bit more about.... Pacing

Pacing is one of the most important skills you can learn as a runner. Get it right and you'll complete runs in your best possible time.


For perfect pacing, you need to plan a little and wear a watch.


If I want to run 5K in less than 30 minutes, I need to check that my pace is around 10kph, so every kilometre should take around 6 minutes. Running our beginner's route that you all know, I can use a mapping website (e.g. www.gb.mapometer.com ) to see where 1K is – it's on the junction of Sayers Road & Hamilton Road. If I get there 6 minutes after starting, I'm on track. However, much less than 6 minutes and I've run too fast. I then need to slow down a little – otherwise I'll be at risk of not being able to complete the distance.


At the 2.5K turning point (just after the Olympic Way crossing), I should be at 15 minutes. If I'm over that, I need to see how I feel about upping the pace a little for the second half of the run, or decide to delay achieving my goal for another day (and do a bit more speedwork!). If I'm under 15 minutes, I may want to take it a bit easier to ensure that I can complete the run if I'm feeling tired.


Checking the time again at the junction of Sayers Road & Hamilton Road, it should be 24 minutes. I've only got 1K to go, so now's the time that I can up the pace a bit more, and maybe try a sprint right at the end.


Starting too fast is a really common problem, so that time check at 1K is key to achieving objectives. To prevent this, consciously start gently, ensure that you are running aerobically (can you talk??) and save faster music on your MP3 for later in the run. Kilometre or mile markers at races are invaluable tools.


For parkrun, 1K is after we've run around the lake, doubled back on ourselves and about halfway before reaching the railway.


GPS gizmos like my Garmin Forerunner 305 and iphone's Runkeeper and iMapmyrun are really helpful for pacing as you can see how fast you are running without having to work anything out in advance.


Some simple calculations:

25 minute 5K = 1 kilometre in 5 minutes = 1 mile in 8mins

30 minute 5K = 1 kilometre in 6 minutes = 1 mile in 9mins 40 seconds

35 minute 5K = 1 kilometre in 7 minutes = 1 mile in 11mins 15 seconds

40 minute 5K = 1 kilometre in 8 minutes = 1 mile in 12mins 50 seconds


Do bear in mind that the further you run, the slower you will run. I suggest that the first time you run a new longer distance, just build to that distance without worrying about the time. Once you can do the distance & want to go quicker, use the time you last ran it in as a benchmark and simply aim to beat it slightly with your pacing plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment