Tuesday 24 August 2010

A bit more about.... giving blood and running

A topical subject as I've been trying to work out how to support Thursday's longer run, given that I'm booked to give blood on Thursday morning....
According to the National Blood Service website, 8-10% of my blood will be removed. If I weighed less, this % would be higher - it's why you have to be 50kg (7 stone 12) to give blood. Anyway, vigorous exercise isn't recommended afterwards as it dilates the blood vessels, increasing the risk of feeling faint - so no running!
I did try to run once on the treadmill on the same day - I felt ill and woozy after about 10 mins.
There's lots more about this on the website and there's also a donor helpline.

nb managed a PW (personal worst) on Saturday's parkrun - still blaming lack of blood!).

No comments:

Post a Comment