Thursday 10 November 2011

Next Beginners' Programme: 10th January

I'm planning to start the next Beginners' Running Programme on Tuesday 10th January at 8pm.  This is designed for women of all ages (over 18) & fitness levels to progress over 10 weeks to running for 30 minutes without a walking break - and enjoying that run!


Graduates of this programme have gone on to run 5ks, 10Ks - and the 10 mile Great South Run.  The quality of conversation is at least as good (and as important) as the quality of running!


I've been leading beginner programmes since early 2009 & have completed an England Athletics coaching course.  I'm 42, love coaching and I run primarily to offset my love of ice cream.  Southampton Running Sisters are affiliated to England Athletics.  


I'm hoping this timing is good for anyone thinking about a running related New Year resolution - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a snow free January!

  • Where? 
    • The Hub Sports Pavilion, Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, SO50 6LA
    • Parking and loos on site.  We meet in the lobby - especially when it's cold!
  • When?
    • 8pm on Tuesday 10th January.  We should be finished by 9pm.
  • How much?
    • £15 for membership of Southampton Running Sisters - there's nothing to pay on top of this for the Beginners' Programme.
  • What will we do?
    • After a chat, we'll warm up & set out on the streets of Eastleigh!  We will gently jog for just one minute in the first week, followed by one minute of walking.  We repeat until we get to 30 minutes.
    • I do set homework...
    • We use a system called looping back to ensure that everyone can run at their own pace, no matter how gentle or speedy that is, without anyone being held back or anyone being left behind.  
    • You do not need to be fit to start.
    • Don't worry about missing the odd session.  I post next week's session on the blog (and it's in a document I will send you) so you can do the session alone if possible.  If not, don't panic!  The progression is gentle so you should be OK to rejoin the week after.
  • What do you need?
    • A completed form I will send you & a cheque for £15.
    • Sports bra, trainers (please don't buy running shoes before we start!) and anything else you are comfortable moving in.  We do run in the rain, so a lightweight waterproof is useful.  I have some unlovely reflective vests - you may prefer to bring your own!
    • If you are new to exercise or are worried about being fit enough, do have a chat with your GP before the programme starts.
  • How to sign up? 
    • Numbers are limited so please get in touch with me at tidridge@gmail.com if you'd like to take part - or if you'd like to know anything not covered here.
  • Useful resources

No comments:

Post a Comment