Saturday 6 March 2010

Tip for the week - Body Check

When running, it's worth doing a top down body check now & again to check posture & form:
  • Where am I looking? If I've been staring at the floor, I need to switch to looking ahead.
  • Am I running tall? Try to lift my head and spine so that I am.
  • Are my hands clenched? Loosen them to loosen arms and shoulders for better posture.
  • Am I bringing my hands & arms across my body? If so, bring them to the sides.
  • How are my hips? I need to kind of sit into them (easier to do than explain!).
  • How's my stride? Are my feet scraping the floor mid stride? If so, lifting my heels a little will lift my stride with little effort.
  • Are my toes clenched? Normally yes for me - try to relax my toes and feet.
Don't worry if you forget it all - every bit of improvement will help. And you can always add in anything else you've found useful.
This tip is from Sam Murphy's book "Run for Life". Body checks are great to do when I am starting to flag as the process brings my focus back. And it's when I'm tired that my posture and form normally goes to pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment