Monday 30 November 2009

Running with ID

Hello my name is Anne and some of you know me from the beginners group and Gin has kindly invited on me on to the blog for a little guest post. 

We have just had week 7 for the current beginners group (how did that happen? I thought I had only just started!)  Gin discussed safety when out running and one of the issues raised concerned id.  If you were incapacitated in some way whilst out running solo how would your relatives be contacted if, like me, you go out with a bare minimum of keys and an ipod/generic mp3player?

I remember once hearing about Cram tags an idea developed by Steve Cram you can read about the story behind them here.  The idea is to have a small tag which you attach to your running shoes with details of who to contact in an emergency. Though I cannot find a source of these anymore something similar can be purchased from icetags.co.uk.  The original idea seems to have morphed into an id band cramalert.co.uk.  The shop no longer seems to be open, but if the idea of a wristband appeals then all kinds of bands, or other sport id are available from the ID Band company

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just wanted to agree with you that ID is often forgetten about and such a crucial thing. I own the above company mentioned (ICEtags) and found your post from seeing where people are coming to my site.
    I run the London marathon in 2007 and during the training I nearly got hit. This give me the idea and motivation to start up ICEtags.
    If anyone wants to have more information on ICEtags or any flyers then please feel free to contact me through the site. Thanks, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also had an email from the ID band company offering us discount - so let me know if you intend to order one & I'll progress...
    Gin

    ReplyDelete